5.29.2012

Cruisers Laundry Etiquette 101


Laundry has always been one of the necessary evils of cruising. I don't know about you but I have found that the best way to do laundry is to go to the laundry room on a Thursday night with an *alcoholic beverage* of choice; load the machine and plop down with a good gossip mag! But, as we all know sometime life gets in the way and it just doesn't happen like that. WARNING: This may not be pretty and I may make some  people mad but, "Hey, the truth hurts sometimes." Also, while we should all really know this already; we could all use a kind reminder. I have come to the conclusion that there are two kinds of people in the laundry room. Inconsiderate *or* Considerate. Here is a list of things that will help keep you in the good graces of the laundering Gods (and your neighbors)


1. Handling Other People's Stuff - While I am one who will absolutely NOT touch other people's laundry there comes a time when you need the machine that someone has long forgotten about and you just have to move it. If you have waited a reasonable amount of time, at least 10 or more (use your own parameters) minutes since the machine stopped, it's time to decide your plan of action. When removing people's laundry remember this - SH*T happens and sometimes people get hung up, the timer doesn't go off, kids get sick, whatever the reason people do not intentionally leave their laundry to piss you off, so be courteous. Put the laundry in a basket if it's dry or the dryer if it is wet. But DO NOT start the dryer. You are not doing them any favors as some people like to line dry. If you are there when the person arrives be nice, smile, introduce yourself and mention that you are sorry you touched their stuff and you hope they don't mind but you needed the next machine. Generally speaking, that person (if it is you, listen up!) will be thankful and remorseful. The most important thing to remember here is to "treat others as you would like to be treated!" 
2. Don't Be That Guy! - Okay so as you read above, no one wants to touch your stuff, so please be timely about your laundering. Set a timer, bring a book, join the club, we have other things to do too! If you don't want people touching your skivvies then get your butt back to the laundry room on time, or don't even leave. Focus solely on the task at hand and GET 'er DONE! 
3. Clean the Lint Trap - Nothing worse than checking the lint trap and finding animal hair, pieces of crumpled up paper and who knows what in the screen. The unwritten rule is clean it immediately after you remove your dry clothing. While I don't mind finding $money$ in the machine I do mind that fact that I have to touch (eww) whatever it is that you wanted to wash OUT of your stuff. Thanks, but no thanks.
4. NO SMOKING. Seriously, I was in shock when I saw people crowded around the door of the washroom puffing away on those things! While I'm trying to make things smell clean they are right at the doorway stinking it up again. Geesh! Besides, my health I am interested in keeping my clean laundry smelling like the Tide I walked in here with, thanks.
5. Be Organized -Nothing worse than waiting for a machine with a person standing in front of it sorting the whites from the colors. Get your laundry in order. Get your quarters or tokens in advance. Have all the supplies you need before you occupy the machine. You may have walked into an empty room but don't take that as your que to spread out and call it home.
 6Remember You Are a Guest - This is not your washing machine. This is not your boat or your house and you will have to "share" this space. Be kind, be courteous and be clean. Thankfully, this space was here so you could go have clean clothes. Treat this space as you would better than your own. Wipe down any spills immediately, put garbage in proper location and remember to check and re-check that you have all of your materials and clothing before you leave.
Laundry can be a very touchy subject and hopefully, I haven't offended anyone but this does need to be said. I am no angel I have been "that guy" - believe me. That being said, I totally had a good reason for showing up late and thankfully the person who waited patiently for me to return to my work was super nice. Hence, my affinity for treating people the way you wish to be treated. In any case, I think you will find that you'll have a great laundry experience if you remember this advice. Happy Washing!!!

Wishing you your own felicity.

No comments: